One of the best ways to bond with family and friends is going on a fishing trip. If you have ever been on a fishing trip, you would know that it is a fun and exciting adventure, especially when you catch many fishes. On fishing trips, there are no noises from the city; all you will feel is a connection to nature and appreciation for its serenity.
An essential tool needed for a fishing trip is a fishing reel. Fishing reels are also called hand-cranked reels and are used for controlling the fishing lines when mounted on fishing rods. Fishing reels are always tethered to fishing rods, and transporting them from your home to a fishing location can be challenging.
The most convenient place to keep your fishing reels is on your car’s roof rack. By placing your fishing reels on your vehicle’s roof rack, the chances of them falling off are reduced. Even more, you can carry different kinds of fishing reels on your car roof at the same time.
While using the roof of your car to lock your fishing reels might be a good idea, not a lot of individuals know how to lock fishing reels on their car roof. If you are one of those individuals, this article is for you. This article explores different ways to lock your fishing reels to your car roof.
The Use of Bungee Cords
If you have planned a fishing expedition with your friends and family and are looking for an effective way to attach the fishing reels to your car roof rack, bungee cords are the way to go. To attach fishing reels to your car roof rack, you must follow the instructions given below.
- Detach the artificial lures from your fishing rods to make it easier to transport the rods safely without breaking them.
- Store the lures and other fishing equipment in your fishing box if you have one. You can also keep the lures in the boot of your car.
- Remove the spools from your fishing rods if you have already spooled them. It is better to spool your rods at the fishing location.
- Hold your fishing rods together with a bungee cord. If the rods are more than two, ensure that you tightly wound the bungee cord around them to prevent them from falling loosely.
- Using another bungee cord, tie the wrapped fishing rods to the side of your car rood rack. Ensure that fishing reels are facing forward.
- To firmly attach the rods to your car roof rack, use more bungee cords to tie the top and bottom of the fishing rods.
Note: Heavy winds or Car swerving can loosen the bungee cords if not tightly strapped. Hence, ensure that the bungee cords are well-knotted. Also, when bundling the fishing cords, apply caution to prevent them from breaking. Instead of bungee cords, you can also use ropes, wires, or ordinary cables found around your house. But before you use them, ensure that the ropes have not lost their structural integrity.
Use fishing racks
Not all car roofs have racks. Hence, if your car roof does not come with built-in racks, you can purchase fishing racks and attach them to the roof of your car. Fishing racks were explicitly made for the transportation of fishing rods.
There are magnetic components on every fishing rack that make it easy to attach your car roof. On the fishing rack, you will find magnets on both ends. Depending on its length, place the fishing racks horizontally or vertically atop your car roof.
Fishing racks have foam paddings and clamps that help to hold your fishing rods firmly. Some fishing racks are long enough to carry 6-8 rods, while some can only carry a maximum of three. So, it would help if you bought a fishing rack that can cater to the number of people accompanying you on the fishing expenditure.
Construct a DIY Fishing Rod Holder
A DIY fishing rod holder is an alternative to buying fishing racks if your car doesn’t have a car roof rack. The process involved is relatively simple and wouldn’t take more than 40 minutes. Most of the tools and materials involved in the process can be found in your home; otherwise, you will have to purchase the materials.
Follow the steps below to construct a DIY fishing rod holder.
- The first step is to gather the required tools and materials. The materials needed are a PVC pipe of length 10ft and diameter of 6in, a conduit carrier kit for attachment, and four U-bolts.
- The PVC pipe will serve as the fishing rod holder. You can use a knife or a file to cut the PVC pipe into the required length. Leave some extra length on the PVC pipe to enable easy movements as you build the fishing rod holder.
- Use the end caps of your conduit kit to cover both ends of the PVC pipe.
- Place the pipe on your car’s roof rack, then use the U-bolts to attach the PVC pipe at both ends. Screw the U-bolts tightly for a firm attachment.
- Repeat step four at for ends to maintain a firm attachment.
- You can place your fishing rods in the holder and go on to enjoy your fishing trip.
After reading this article, transporting your fishing reels wouldn’t be a problem. Opt for whichever option is cheaper or convenient for you. As long as you follow the instructions correctly, transporting your fishing reels will be easy.